Practice Sleep Hygiene For A Good Night’s Rest
We’ve all practice good personal hygiene, like washing your hair and brushing your teeth. But can you say you know what sleep hygiene is? Sleep hygiene is not a common term everyone knows, but it is one of the most straightforward ways to set yourself up for healthier sleep.
What Is Sleep Hygiene?
Sleep hygiene (also known as sleeping habits) are behaviours and habits that one can do to help promote a night of good sleep. Your behaviors during the day and before you go to bed can affect how well you sleep. Every individual sleeper can tailer their practices to suit their needs.
Why Is It Important?
While you are asleep, your mind and body are restoring energy and rebuilding tissue. Without a good sleep you would not have enough energy in the day to accomplish your daily tasks. Healthy sleep is important for your physical and mental health, improving your overall quality of life. A proper amount of sleep helps lower your risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and many other complications. Being rested also keeps your energy level up and improves your mood. Everyone benefits from better sleep.
Sleep Hygiene Tips:
- Maintain a regular sleep routine. Ensure you are in bed and out of bed the same time every day.
- Make sure your bedroom is dark, comfortable, quiet and at a good temperature for sleep.
- Develop a relaxing bedtime routine. Take a warm shower, meditating or read a book.
- Exercise regularly. Even 30 mins of exercise a day can improve your sleep quality, as well as your overall health.
- Avoid big meals and caffiene before bed.
- Try out calming scents. Light smells such as lavender may influence a calmer state of mind.
The basic concept of sleep hygiene applies to everyone, but what steps and routines you take will vary from person to person. It is worth testing out what helps you relax and get a better sleep. Do not change everything at once, take small steps and eventually you will move toward a better sleep hygiene routine.